Monday, November 21, 2011

The Reynolda House Museum of American Art
On Thursday of last week, my 3 art classes (50 students and 7 adults) went on a field trip to Reynolda House in Winston-Salem. And while the weather was gray and rainy, our spirits were not damped. We were split into 6 groups each with our own personal tour guides who told us all about the art, house, history and culture of Reynolda House and the Reynolds family. I was so proud of my students. They seemed to absorb the information like a sponge. Many of the tour guides commented on how well behaved the students were. And the tour guide of the group I was with said that it was the "smartest group she had ever given a tour to." You know I was beaming with pride when we left to head for lunch and then home.

Each tour guide had their own personal style for presenting the information about the house and art. Some focused mostly on the art while others added many details about the house and family. On Friday, using a PowerPoint I had created with images of the house, family, and artwork, we spent over 45 minutes in each class period sharing the information the tour guides had taught us. I was really, really impressed at how much the students we able to recall. And I think they enjoyed "showing off" what they had learn and hear other facts from classmates that supplemented what their tour guide had shared with them.

I was a great trip. And I would encourage anyone who hasn't had the opportunity to visit the museum to stop in for a visit the next time you are near Winston-Salem. And if you are looking for a good tour guide, I know 50 teenagers who could show you around the place!

No comments:

Post a Comment